CUCUMBER : A Natural Skin Soother
‘As cool as a cucumber’ – this phrase makes perfect sense to most of us, especially in the scorching summer heat. After all, there is no better ingredient to help one beat the heat than the crunchy and cooling ‘cucumber’.
The cucumber plant is believed to have originated more than 3,000 years ago in India and is one of the oldest cultivated crops. Popular in the ancient civilizations of Egypt, Greece and Rome, cucumbers were utilized not only as a food, but also for their beneficial skin healing properties.
Cucumber has numerous skin benefits. Let’s have a look at some of them:
- Skin Conditioner : Cucumber as an ingredient is rich in Phytosterols, amino acids, nutrients like minerals, Vitamin A & C that are natural skin conditioners and collagen builders that help to retain skin moisture and condition skin naturally.
- Natural Emollient & Coolant: Cucumber naturally soothes and calms skin.
- Natural Skin Cleanser & Astringent: It also balances skin oils that tighten pores and tone your skin.
- Skin Softener: Keeps skin soft. Soothes and heals damaged skin.
- Reduces Sunburn: Antioxidants present in cucumber reduce sun burn and tanning effect.
- Skin Lightening: Cucumber works as a natural bleach to lighten and brighten the skin.
- Fight Inflammation: Cucumbers may help to “cool” the inflammatory response in your body.
- Antioxidant Properties: Cucumbers contain numerous antioxidants, including the well-known vitamin C and beta-carotene. They also contain antioxidant flavonoids which provide additional benefit.
- Manage Stress: Cucumbers contain multiple B vitamins, including vitamin B1, vitamin B5, and vitamin B7 (biotin). B vitamins are known to help ease feelings of anxiety and buffer some of the damaging effects of stress.
Take advantage of the many benefits of this soothing plant and make cucumber a part of your daily beauty regime.